Icon of the Month – Edward VIII: The Prince Charming
It’s interesting to note that the ‘best dressed Englishman of all time’ was also one of the most decadent and controversial. Coincidence? Unlikely…
From the playboy antics to the nazi sympathy and bisexuality rumours, the Duke of Windsor was never far from the headlines. Like him or loath him, no one can deny that he was a snappy dresser. Indeed his wardrobe is the stuff of legend. Rumours include:
- He often had jackets for his suits made on Savile Row, but the trousers made in New York.
- He popularised the smoking jacket.
- He popularised the Windsor knot (although some accounts point to Edward VII).
- When he died his suit collection was valued at £15,000 – £1.2 million in today’s money.
- He created a new version of the silk tie.
- He popularised plus fours for playing golf.
- He popularised the zoot suit in America
It’s amazing he found the time for all that gallivanting!
Below are 11 of King & Allen’s favourite outfits from that legendary wardrobe…
Call 0800 0274430 or contact us here for more information. We have fitting locations in London: Liverpool St, Savile Row and Charing Cross; Nottingham; Leeds; Wilmslow and Surbiton. We also have a new store in Amersham.