Do men look sexier in suits? We discover the truth…
On this blog we are always encouraging our readers to dress better, look smarter and generally take more care of their appearance. We’ve seen the impact it can have on our customers – so we speak from considerable experience. But is there actually any scientific evidence to prove that a suit really makes a difference? We looked into this and found a study by Professor Adam D. Galinsky of the Northwestern University in the US which revealed that wearing certain clothes really does ‘altar cognitive performance and perception’ – a field of research that has become part of what is known as ‘enclothed cognition’.
Fascinating stuff, but does any of this matter in the real world? We decided to conduct a survey of our own to get to the heart of the matter – is a man more attractive in a suit than in casual clothes?
We decided that the best place to conduct our survey was on a dating site – where potentially life changing judgement calls are being made every second – entirely based on a single photograph. They say a picture tells a thousand words – never has this old adage been more applicable than in the harsh world of online dating…
Our experiment had two main goals – impartiality and accuracy.
1. We chose 20 men from a diverse age range (23-38), encompassing a broad variety of body shapes and sizes, as well as classes, colours and cultures.
2. We photographed the men using the same lighting and the same background – asking them to maintain the same facial expression and body language for each photo.
The only thing we changed was their clothing.
We took 6 photos of each man – 3 in suits and 3 in casual clothes, and had all the photos rated by hundreds of women aged between 18 and 38 – using existing online dating tools only – to ensure our results were as accurate as we possible.
The results were a landslide. 80% of the women surveyed found the man in the suit more attractive. Moreover, they found the man, on average, 6% more attractive in his suit than in his casual clothes.
But the results didn’t stop there…
We decided to analyse the data further, to establish exactly which demographic of women found the men in suits more attractive. The results were very interesting indeed –
It became very apparent very quickly that the younger women were particularly interested in dating the man in the suit, finding the same man as high as 12% more attractive in his suit.
We believe that four factors have come together to produce such conclusive results:
1) Suits are more flattering to the body shape – making the wearer seem thinner, taller and more well- built.
2) Suits are extremely fashionable at the moment. They are popular with young and old alike.
3) A man in a suit projects himself as someone who is successful and reliable – and therefore good boyfriend material.
4) Wearing a suit for a profile photo shows that the man takes care and pride in his appearance. There is an assumption, therefore, that he will take care and pride in other aspects of his life – including his relationships!
King & Allen suits range from £299 – £1299. . Call 0800 0274430 or contact us here for more information.
We have fitting locations in London: Liverpool St, Savile Row and Charing Cross; Nottingham; Leeds; Wilmslow and Surbiton.